Evening Star Chapter No. 20 O.E.S. was chartered on February 15th 1921 by Myra Grand Chapter in Havre De Grace Maryland, under the protection of Chesapeake Lodge No. 48 F&AM. The persons from Myra Grand Chapter who assisted in the forming and the chartering of the chapter were:
– Grand Worthy Matron – Florence M. Oliver
– Grand Worthy Patron – Benjamin E. Langston
– Grand Associate Matron – Medota Langston
– Grand Recording Secretary – Priscilla Franklin
– Grand Financial Secretary – Maggie Upshur
– Most Worshipful Grand Master – Willard Allen
Those persons who were elected officers of the newly formed chapter were:
– Worthy Matron – Annie Ennis
– Worthy Patron – Alexander Whitfield
– Secretary – Samantha Jones
– Treasurer – Hanna Bently
– Associate Matron – Susie Cameron
– Conductress – Rebecca Parker Christy
Other chartered members include: Laura Dorsey, Annie Wagner, Lena Johnson, Mary Christy, Rose Skinner, Frances Richardson, Joshua Williams, Lauretta Whitefield, John Leo Jones, Samuel Ennis, and William Tobias Dorsey.
During Evening Star’s illustrious 95 year history, many, many members have been both appointed and elected to various positions in Myra Grand Chapter. Space limits the mentioning of most of these. However, the following members were elected to the top positions of Myra Grand: Mary Jones GWM, Joyce S. Venable GWM, Leo Jones, John Cahl and Charlie Smith, GWPs.
Community service has been very important to the work of Evening Star Chapter. Scholarship aid to local high school graduates and continuing education students, care packages to Chapter members that are sick and shut in, feeding and clothing the homeless and the residents of Girard Street, and a multiple of other fund raisers and activities to raise money for the Chapter’s other charities.